Sunday, March 7, 2010

True Compassion

As I sit here, deciding what to type, my almost 2 year old is spraying herself in the face with a spray bottle. She has been entertained by this for maybe 20 minutes now. Who knew?!

Today, my husband had to leave halfway through church to head off to work. I am grateful he could help me with the kids before we sent Petey to her class. When church was over, I gathered my bags and children and headed out the door to the car. As the door opened, I was so upset to find that it was not raining, but pouring and our car was in the second row of the parking lot. Many people were huddled right outside the door, waiting for someone in their family to drive the car up to the curb but I had no one. I got worried that Petey would slip and fall since I couldnt hold her hand out to the car or that someone might hit her in all the chaos. As I started to worry, an older gentleman leaned to me and asked, "Is there anything I can help you with? Can I drive your car up to the curb, stay with your children, or at least help you get them to the car?" I thanked him so much and told him I was worried that my daughter would slip so if he would like to carry her to the car, I would really appreciate it. He walked with me out to my car and put her in her carseat while I buckled Spidey up in his and then walked back to see if others needed help. This is the kind of person I want to be. Selfless, helpful, always striving to serve others. I know that it sounds ridiculous that rain made us have a chaotic afternoon (especially if you live anywhere besides Arizona) but it was just the thought that someone put us before himself, was willing to get soaking wet and help me out to my car. I will forever be grateful to him and grateful to belong to this wonderful church ( go here to learn more about my church and what I believe). There ae many times we have had a harder time fitting in and feeling cared about in our "new" ward (ok, we have been here for almost 2 years now). Our first ward right after we got married had some of my husband's family in it so it made it easier to adjust and feel welcome. Our new ward has been harder but I have come to a point where I know more people in my ward and feel comfortable there. I also got released from my calling this week (teaching the 9 yr old class) and feel that maybe things will be easier now that I will be around adults for a change.
I hope that things continue to get better and I know that it has to do with me also and how hard I work at it.

And that's how Suze sees it.

No comments: