Friday, January 25, 2013

Friends are like chocolate chips

Tonight, I'm thankful for friends. I am thankful that I have so many of them in my life and that my daughter is starting to have some close ones of her own.

I've been blessed this past year in the friend department. I went from thinking I had friends, to having no friends at all, to meeting some amazing people and creating more friendships than I've had since high school. I know to some of you it would seem silly that I would be this thankful for friends. Maybe you've had the same friends since kindergarten, junior high, or high school but that hasn't really been the case for me. Sure, I keep in touch with some of my friends from those days but that isn't the same thing as having a close friend.

When I got married, it was really hard trying to figure out where I fit in. None of my friends were married and most were in college having fun with new roommates. I felt like I had missed out on an important part of growing up and it was difficult to figure out where I fit in with the 'old, married people'. For probably 4 years, I didn't have anyone besides family that I considered close friends. I didn't really realize what I was missing out on until recently, when I realized how amazing it is to have friends who are almost always there when I need someone to talk to or need a break from my kids.

My mom used to have this quote on our fridge that said "In the cookies of life, good friends are the chocolate chips."

That quote really says it all. My friends are the icing on top to my already great life. I am so very thankful to a God that knows what I need more than I do. I trust who He places in my life because He knows me better than I know myself.

And that's how Suze sees it.

No comments: