Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Black Bean Tacos, Mango Quinoa Salad, and Chocolate Popsicles



I wanted to start writing by apologizing for not blogging as often but then I realized that blogging is really all for me and I don't have any need to apologize.
Life sure is good about throwing curve balls at me and I feel like once I get used to one trial, Heavenly Father feels the need to give me something else. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, I know He is always there by my side to help e handle everything that comes my way.
So tonight, I wanted to leave you on a lighter note and show off some of my cooking skills.

I decided to make black bean tacos the other night. I would point you toward the original recipe I found on Pinterest but in the blog post was also a big fat F bomb and I'm not really into promoting profanity and since I actually changed up the recipe, I thought I'd give you my own rendition.

What you'll need:
6 corn tortillas
2 cups of shredded pepper jack cheese
1 can of cooked black beans
1 diced tomato
Olive oil

 
Now seriously, this is really simple. Mix all ingredients together except for the tortillas and the olive oil.
 Spread a little olive oil in your pan and let it heat up. Add a tortilla and spread some of the mixture from above on half of the tortilla.
 Fold the tortilla over and cook til it's starting to brown on each side. Mine needed about 2 minutes per side.
 Some of the mixture fell out and I just scraped it out of the pan and threw it on top of my tacos.

They were delicious and 50% of our family liked them! :) That would include me and my girly. Boss actually didn't get to try them and Spidey wouldn't even take one bite.
 Here are the kids' plates with half a taco and some mango quinoa salad. Neither kid liked the quinoa and I actually wasn't a fan of eating it cold but it wasn't horrible. My sister loves this salad so if you think you would like the recipe, here it is on Our Best Bites.
 It sure looks yummy! :)

Last on my list of recipes is a yummy and SUGAR FREE dessert. I took one package of sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding and made it the way it said on the package. I let it cool for 5 minutes in the fridge and then I mixed in half a bowl of fat free whipped cream. I spooned the mixture into little dixie cups, added a popsicle stick and stuck them all in the freezer.
 They looked yummy and the kids were counting down the minutes until they could have one.
 Can you tell they're excited?
 I love his big hazel eyes.
 The only problem was that the popsicles started to break so we put them in a bowl and threw the popsicle stick away. Of course, the kids still thought it was the best thing in the world. Isn't Spidey's smile the best?
And those crazy side curls on my girly are exactly what my hair does. Even though it annoys me, it looks adorable on her!

Hope you've all had a great week so far!

No comments: