Monday, January 25, 2010

A Lady

Today, while writing my husband an email, I almost called myself a woman.

And then I hesitated.

And then I switched the word to lady. :)

Odd, huh? I most certainly am a woman but don't feel as though that title fits me. On the inside, Im still 16.
Looking in the mirror the other day, I thought to myself, "This year I turn 23. Yuck!" No offense to any of you out there who are older than 23. I just really don't feel like a 20 something. Obviously I have children so we can all be grateful that I am a 20 something but most times, I just dont feel it.

What makes it harder to feel older is being the youngest out of my 4 sisters. I have 2 younger siblings, both with disabilities, so I was the baby of the 4 older kids (yup, 6 of us all together).

I have a baby voice (or at least I'd bet that I do). For example, I work in billing and you'd consider that to be a mature job (at least I do). People call on the phone and start using words like "hun", "babe", "sweetheart", and I'm baffled. Did I tell you I was 14? Because I'm not, person on the other side of the phone. I am a mother and people don't normally walk around calling me "sweetheart", like you would to a 5 year old.
Or there are the people that don't necessarily call me by certain names but talk to me in a way you would speak to your 3 year old child. They talk more high pitched, a lot slower, and seem to be raising their eyebrows and grinning on the other side. Are they thinking if they ask nicely and talk really slow that I'll understand them better? I'm not quite sure. But I do understand them, I do take my job seriously, and I do know what I am doing (for the most part...Ive only been in billing for 3 months).

So this year, I'm turning 23 (honestly, that is still 9 months away). Bring. It. On.

And that's how Suze sees it.

No comments: