Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day

I used to think that Father's Day was a bit silly.
Not that fathers don't deserve recognition but I just always thought it was funny that on fathers day, the fathers wouldn't have to cook or clean or change diapers, etc.
In my mind, most fathers didnt do that anyway. And that doesn't make them bad. But in most traditional families, mothers do the cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the kids and fathers go out and provide for the family.
But I still loved Father's Day. I loved getting up and making my dad breakfast in bed and making him homemade cards and coupon books for free foot/back massages and also free smiles and hugs. My dad always loved our coupon books and made sure to use them throughout the year.

Then, soon after getting married and having our first child, it was Mother's Day that started to seem silly...because I was the one who didn't normally cook and Boss was a full time stay at home daddy.
Those first Mother's Days were still special but I didn't relax much more than any other Sunday because normally, my husband was the one not relaxing anyway.
And now that I stay home with our babies and raise them while my husband works, he still cooks on Sundays and is always helping me clean and take care of the kids.
So Father's Day has become a day that I try to make special. I don't want him getting up and helping make the meals on Father's Day and I try to make sure I'm getting the kids ready all by myself.
(It probably would've been nice to have the house clean for him this Father's Day but...that didn't happen.)
I try to show him in these little ways how much I appreciate all of the hard work he does.
 My husband is always helping somebody. That is one of the reasons I fell in love with him. I love his willingness to serve and I often feel bad for not being a better homemaker to make his life easier (I'm working on it.). So Father's Day is definitely HIS day. It is the one day of the year I don't let him help me with things! It is the one day of the year I suggest he naps as long as possible in the afternoon.
But even though Father's Day is the day we recognize how awesome our dads and husbands are, I hope we all recognize them and show them how grateful we are for them every day. I hope they know how special they are. There is no way I could replicate what my husband does for our children. He teaches them so much that I am not capable of teaching them. Together, we make a great team and hopefully our kids will recognize that when they grow up and appreciate how wonderful their dad is.

And that's how Suze sees it.

No comments: