Sunday, February 12, 2012

Daughters in my Kingdom: Chapter 2

If you don't know what the title of this post means and want to know more about what I'm writing about, please go check out my sister in law's blog, here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you ever thought about what the title Relief Society really means? Before reading this chapter, I had never really realized (sad but true) that the word relief was the main word here and that the organization of our Relief Society is to bring relief to each other, as sisters in the church. How wonderful a society that's main goal is to bring relief to others.
As I was reading this past week, I thought back to my sisters and mother so many times. I am lucky enough to have been surrounded by women my entire life and to know what the love of a sister really feels like.

But that also makes me think of the many other "sisters" who have come and gone from my life. There have been extended family members and in laws, EFY counselors, Young Women leaders, neighbors, friends, and other women who have made an impact on my life. Many are not still in my life but all helped me become the woman that I am today.

The past 8 months of my life have been some of the hardest I've ever had to face so far and though it pains me to see the friends I've lost through this process, I have gained a knowledge of who will stick by my side, even through the truly ugly moments.

Sisters (biological or not) are a blessing from our Heavenly Father. To have somebody of your same gender who understands you and supports you is a very special feeling (because let's face it, as much as our husbands love us and try to understand us, there are some things they won't be able to understand...and that's ok!).

When Joseph Smith organized the Relief Society, he did so because as women, we are natural nurturers. We tend to look at someone who is going through a hard time and want to help. And many times, we know what to do to help. We are good at what we do and should be proud of that!

If you didn't already know this, I have the calling of "Compassionate Services Director" in my ward. I often get to see firsthand the blessings that come from serving others through their trials. I organize meals, babysitters, rides, anything that our special sisters need, with permission of the Relief Society President. This calling has taught me so much about what it is to be a sister in our Relief Society. In the two funerals we have helped with, I had to start turning down help from members of our ward because too many people were volunteering! This brought such a sweet spiritual feeling into my heart to know that when people are hurting, others will serve them, no questions asked.

A couple of times, I have set up meals for families without knowing the very reason for the meal and without knowing the reasons, sisters in our ward are still willing to serve.

This has taught me how much Relief Society means to our church and how much it means in my life. To be an active Relief Society member is a very special blessing I hold very dear to my heart.

I am so grateful for the many opportunities Relief Society has given me to serve, love, and help others. I am grateful for all of the service and love that it has provided for my family.

And that's how Suze sees it.

No comments: