Monday, February 20, 2012

Too Far into the Future

I am so blessed to have such a sweet little girl in my life. But with that blessing I feel nervous for her also.
At home, Petey is feisty. She has always been that way. As sweet as she is, she can talk back to me as much as I talked back to my own mother in my teen years. And she whines...a lot. But the majority of the day, she is just sweet. She likes to share with others, snuggle with mom, and tells me I'm beautiful more times than I have counted. So why does this sweetness make me nervous? Mostly because I want to raise a girl who makes choices based on what she wants and not what is cool to others. I want her to know right from wrong and be brave enough to stand up for herself. I want her to not be her mom.
And I'm not trying to slam myself or tell you I don't love myself but if I could change one thing, it would be the choices I made in my growing up years. And I see so much of myself in my girl.
She is just as timid as I am around new people and once she is comfortable around someone, she is wild. :)
I hope and pray that I can teach her to be strong.
Because I believe I have learned to be strong. I just want her to learn earlier. :)

Am I the only one who thinks this far into the future with my toddlers? Maybe I'm truly crazy. But I often think about the future because I know the way I choose to raise my kids right now can affect the way they are in the future.

And that's how Suze sees it.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I feel the same way about my little girl. I hope to always give her plenty of chances to meet new people, learn how to speak to adults, etc. at the same time, you can't fight nature. I think my daughter will always have a shy streak through her because that's just who she is.

Kristina "The Chubby Cruiser" said...

what a stylish little girl!!! bless her!

Kris
crusierdolly.blogspot.com

Witmer Family Reunion said...

Naw, now you know what your mother might have been thinking with you. Amazing how our perspectives change.