Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Special Petey

Well, since yesterday was kind of a bust, I hoped today would be better.
No such luck in the am. Trying to care for 3 kids under 3, with one of them potty training, one of them a new walker, and one of them just plain sassy---well, it's hard.
I arrived at my mom's house in the afternoon (since one of my new jobs is respite care with my brother and sister after school) and practically threw everything at her. G's mom had picked him up right before we left and Spidey went down for a nap as soon as we got to her house so luckily, it was just Petey to deal with. My mom played with her and gave me a break.
I needed that new scenery. The four walls I am usually under had been getting to me and making me stir crazy.
After my work with my siblings, Petey asked me to play hide and go seek with her. How could I resist? I had had my break and my girly missed me. We ran through the halls of my parents home, playing what is actually a mix between hide and go seek and tag. Oh the squeals that came out of that girl were like music to my ears. I love to see those true happy emotions.
Then it was off to the grocery store. In the car, Petey was asking if I had brought her baby, Chloe, with us. I told her that Chloe would be waiting for us at home. She thought for a minute and then said, "Can we get Bubba a baby doll and we can name him T-bone?" I burst out laughing since, if you watch Clifford like we do, you would understand how surprised and funny this connection was. I also love that she was so thoughtful and realized her brother didnt have a baby doll like she does. How could I say no to letting her get him one?
When we got inside the store, we found little baby dolls for $1 each. I told Petey she could get one for Spidey and herself. She picked out two of them and said, "My baby's name is Cosmo and Bubba's baby's name is T-bone. Can we get a Jetta baby doll too?" I told her we would only be getting two and she was ok with that.
Tonight made everything better. I love realizing how bright my little girl is. The fact that she recognized her baby doll's name is Chloe and Clifford has friend's named Chloe and T-bone (Cosmo is Jetta's baby brother...another favorite character of hers) just amazes me. Some days I am just not sure I give her enough credit for the things she is learning and understanding.
Have I mentioned she can write the letter "c"? I know it's not a HUGE deal but it's still exciting to me.
These babies grow up way too fast. Lucky for me, I get to be home to see the whole thing happen. I am grateful for that, even though sometimes it means toughing it out with ornery children.
Being a stay at home mom has been the hardest and best thing I have ever chosen to do.

And that's how Suze sees it.

No comments: