Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday

Today I got brave.
Petey has a dress (that she now wears as a shirt) that I absolutely love---all except for one thing. The sleeves have always been way too tight. And not just because she is 2 1/2 and wearing a size 12 mo dress. They were tight when she was 12 months old wearing the dress too.
So today I decided that I would fix the sleeves and make her shirt/dress more comfortable to wear.

This is what the sleeves looked like before I did anything to them.
I thought about cutting the sleeves to get the elastic out but I'm glad I didnt. I picked the seam and took the elastic out instead. That way, the sleeves would stay the same length.
I folded the raw edges back up and sewed the sleeve exactly on the seam where it had been.
I am lazy. You probably know that. I had white thread in the machine and decided not to change it (because I hate changing the thread and bobbin). I figured white thread would be cute and outline the sleeves a bit.
Well, next time, I'll change the thread. :) But that's ok. They still look pretty good.
Petey dressed herself a couple of weeks ago and this is exactly the outfit she put on. I actually loved the orange tank top over the red dress so now I usually put the two together. Who would've thought my 2 yr old would be teaching me fashion tips? :)
And that's how Suze sews it.

No comments: