Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thankful Banner and Wooden Letters

I have TWO tutorials for you in this post. Feeling lucky much? But first, I have some exciting news about this week.
My first news was Tuesdays dinner. I made chicken bake and mashed potatoes and Mmmm, it was good! Even ask my friend, Candice. I'm pretty sure she liked it too.
My second piece of exciting news involves a little chubby guy we like to call Spidey. He is officially trying out the view from up here with the rest of us! He can take 5 steps in a row and is practicing and trying hard to get more in there. I'm so proud of this little guy. Today, he just stood and stared at me for 30 full seconds. Go Bubs!
Now onto your tutorials. Tutorial # 1 is for mod podged wooden letters. I am doing a word for each month and they slide right into a wooden hanger on my wall.

This month, for Thanksgiving, I chose to do the word Give. I went to my favorite store and picked out some cute scrapbook paper and got to work!
You will need:
  • 2 different colors/patterns coordinating scrapbook paper
  • mod podge
  • wooden letters
  • scissors
First, I sized each letter and added about a half inch around all of the edges before cutting out a square of the paper. Then, I applied mod podge to the tops of my wooden letters and layed them on my pieces of paper.

You dont have to do this, but I found something heavy and layed it on top of my letters to make sure they would have no bubbles in them.
When they were dry, I turned them over, cut a bunch of slits all around each letter, and wrapped the paper around to the back of the letters, securing it with mod podge.
Last, I mod podged the tops of the letters over the paper so they would have a glossy finish.

And here are my letters, all festive and ready for Thanksgiving. :)
Now onto tutorial # 2. I have seen these banners going around and thought I would try it out and make my own. I chose to use the word Thankful for this one.

You will need:
  • 5 different colors/patterns of coordinating scrapbook paper
  • brown tulle
  • a printer (and printer paper, of course)
  • mod podge
  • a glue stick
  • scissors
  • paper cutter (optional)

First, I printed off the word Thankful in the size and font that I wanted to use. I made sure to use black ink so I could see the print through the back of the printer paper. I cut out each letter and glued it to the back of a piece of scrapbook paper. I then cut out each letter again so now it was connected and all I could see from the front was the marroon scrapbook paper I chose.

Then, I used my other coordinating scrapbook pages to cut out squares in two different sizes-one size barely bigger than my letters, and the next size barely bigger than that. I wanted my squares to have a slant so I matched each one up and cut diagonally into them.
I mod podged all of the papers to each other (included the letters on the front) and waited for them to dry.
After they were dry, I hole punched each sqaure on both top corners and tied them together using the brown tulle.
This is probably my second favorite craft so far, aside from the yarn wreath. :) I love the way it looks hanging on my wall above my cute turkey and my favorite pictures. (that's my favorite wall in our house)

Good luck! and Happy Crafting!
And that's how Suze sees it.

1 comment:

Juli said...

I love your banner Suze!! You're gonna have to help me make one!! HAve a great day!