Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I was an angry momma

Today, we went to McDonalds. Every once in a while, my friends and I will take all the kids and let them play in the play area there.
We had been there for about an hour when I heard screaming from up in the play place. After a second, I realized it was my son's screams and so I ran and climbed up to him.
When I got to him, I found a 5 yr old boy sitting on top of him, punching/slapping him repeatedly in the face. As soon as the kid saw me, he jumped off of Spidey and went down the slide to his dad. Poor Petey was watching the whole thing and was yelling, "Stop it! Get off of him!" I'm actually glad that she didn't touch the kid because I'm sure he would've just hurt her too.
My poor baby was shaking so bad and when I finally got him down and out of the play place, I realized his mouth was bleeding so I took him to the bathroom to clean him up. I realized in the bathroom that his eye was a bit swollen and the whole side of his face was beet red.
When I got out of the bathroom, my friend, Lindsey, told me the dad didn't speak english (I think he was Chinese) and as flustered as I was, I just wanted to get out of there. When we got home, I sat in a chair and held my baby. He was still shaking and breathing heavy and I was still shaken up from the whole situation.

Davey tried to hold him but he would not leave my arms for over an hour. Poor guy wouldnt even talk to his big sister who was really concerned. He eventually let me put him down and we drove over to Grandma's so I could work with my siblings.

When we got out of the car, silly Spidey was plugging his nose and singing really loud. It was pretty funny and I was glad he seemed happier.

He napped the whole time we were at my parents and when we finally left after dinner, it was raining outside!

As soon as we got into our driveway, I let the kids out to play in the rain. The weather has been much more manageable the past few days because of the clouds and rain.

Look at that happy face.

The kids had a blast chasing each other around the driveway.

Then, we went inside and took a warm bubble bath. As you can see, Spidey's right eye is still red but at least, it isnt really swollen anymore.

Isnt he just so cute? You can also see in this picture that he has two cuts on his lip. Aside from those things, he also has a big scratch on his right cheek and a bruise on the top of his head.


It was an emotional day for this mama. I just wanted to hold my baby in my arms and never let him out of my sight again.

I know how much I've learned from today and what things I might have done differently. I didn't talk to the dad of the kid, assuming he didn't speak any english but when I got home, Boss asked me if the guy ordered food. I realized he had and so Boss thinks he can speak english. Also, I left without telling any worker at McDonalds. Spidey was actually not the first or last kid that we saw the kid hurt. Apparently, since Spidey was small, the kid hurt him more but many other kids were running crying to their parents. I wish I would've told someone at McDonalds so they could've tried talking to the kid or his dad.

I know I could've done it all differently but as my mom told me later today, I focused on my son and the fact that he needed me first. And I'll never regret that.

It's hard being a parent and making decisions on the spot. But I wouldn't trade being a mom for any other job in the world.


And that's how Suze sees it.

4 comments:

Juli said...

Poor kiddo. I seriously don't know what I would have done. Suze, I can't believe you didn't yell at the other kid or anything. You are one strong momma! I hope he gets feeling better quickly, sweet guy.

Emmy said...

Oh I am so sorry! This just made me sick- I was shaking while reading this. You are a bigger woman than me- I think I would have torn that guy another wether he understood me or not! I am so sorry that happened.

Kodi & Lindsey said...

are you sure i'm the one who told you he didn't speak english? I dont remember saying that :( i was caught up in the moment too who knows what i said. poor little guy - i still can't believe it!! glad he is ok - we'll have to find a new play place- seems like there are always bullies at that one.

Kelly said...

First, couldn't you just live in this cooler weather FOR EV ER?! It's been so nice 'round our parts, too.

Second, POOR SPIDEY! That's INSANE, really. I'm one of those people that would have DECKED the kid (regretfully) and possibly the dad. You show amazing restraint. I'm glad he's doing better now.