Saturday, September 24, 2011

Why I stay home

I've seen two different links circulating through Facebook that have really made me think this week. One was from the Huffington Post and you can read it here. Another, my personal favorite, was a guest post written on one of the cute blogs I follow and you can read it here. Both posts talk about something that I am privileged enough to be able to do...stay at home with my children.

Over a year ago, my husband and I decided it was time for me to quit my job. Petey was a little over 2 years old and Spidey was 10 months old. I was elated to be home with my two little lovies and thought this would be the easiest and most fun thing in the world.

I was 50% correct.

And if staying at home is so challenging, why do I do it?

I stay home because I want my children learning my teachings and not that of a babysitter or my mother. As much as I love and trust my mother or our other babysitters, my husband and I have set goals and rules and want to maintain those certain things in our household. There were many things I told my mom in Petey's 2 years with her that my mom dutifully followed but it just wasn't the same as her having me home. My children have always loved me. I was never worried about our relationship. But there is no replacement for me. I am their mother.

On my hardest of days, when I've yelled too much, turned on the too many movies, etc, I wonder why I don't just leave them with their Grandma. Her patience is much better than mine and she is always thinking of ways to entertain my kids so they don't have as much time to fight or whine. It is on those days that I realize what I am doing. I am learning patience. I am learning to find activities and to dissolve fights. This isnt just for my children. It is for both of us.

We are both learning every day.
Currently, I am working on not yelling.
Petey is working on not throwing tantrums when she hears the word "no".
And Spidey is in the middle stages of learning our discipline policies; For example: If he doesnt finish his food, no snacks til the next meal. If he whines, mom ignores. If he hits, time out. Etc. Poor Spidey is at that very important age where he is being molded and learning a lot at one time. But he is taking it all in like a champ...sometimes. :)

If I weren't home, none of this would be happening. My kids would not have the relationship that they do with me and my husband (since he is actually home most of the time too).

Especially on those hard days, I am grateful that I get to be home. I am grateful that I get to experience ups and downs and in betweens with my kids. This life I live is priceless.

And that's how Suze sees it.

No comments: